Wednesday 7 October 2009

Emergency Veggie Bolognese


Bolognese. Is there anything as comforting, nurturing or exciting as a Spaghetti Bolognese?

I woke up this morning with one single image in my head. It made me feel giddy and a little nauseous. I felt pulled, tugged and forced towards that one powerful craving. The room was only a grey misty fog, blurry compared to the clarity of the image in my head. Ohhhhh Bolognese! I will not survive if I can't merge with you and become one with you! Ohhh lovely, potent Bolognese! I will surly die if I have to spend a second longer separate from you! I will scream and go mad if you keep teasing me with that promise of lust-filled satisfaction only you can provide me with, to then escape my claw-like fingers reaching for you in vain! Ohhh Bolognese! You great seducer of souls!

Now, the problem is, one, obviously, that I can't eat wheat or sugar or cheese. Or olives. Or tomato paste. And better not meat either, if I want to stick to my violent diet, to kill kill kill those fungi in the stomach (if this is indeed the condition, I am starting to wonder...). Two, I'm lazy. I don't want to go to the shop.

So, what to do?

SOS Vegetarian Rice Bolognese
(not long ago I would have killed someone for suggesting such a thing, much like I would have despised anyone ordering a decaf soy latte... and now look at me... oh well...)

1 dl black piemont rice
6 tomatoes
1 stalk of celery
1 green pepper
1 shallot
2 cloves of garlic
a few turns with the chili mill
vegan stock

fresh rosemary
rosemary powder

a tiny naughty bit of parmesan

(2 small portions) cook the piemont rice for about 35 min. fry in olive oil the chopped shallots and garlic. get a few turns with the chili mill in there - ohhhhh that insane scent of frying garlic and shallots... then add the chopped tomatoes and green pepper. Stir in a spoon of vegan stock, then ad a hint of rosemary powder and later the chopped up fresh rosemary. Pour in half a dl with water and let simmer for a few minutes before throwing in the rice.

serve with some parmesan shavings.

1 comment:

  1. Parmesan shavings. Sounds intriguing. A shaved parmesan. How often does parmesan have to shave? Does parmesan grow a beard if it does not shave? And if you catch parmesan in your beard while eating bolognese, what do you do?

    ReplyDelete